Is it necessary to take an INTRO course before CANSail 1?
NO! We offer the Intro course to accommodate sailors that prefer just a 1 week experience.
What is CANSail?
Where and when do the classes begin and end?
***The following is subject to change as we modify group start/end times and lunch breaks due to COVID considerations.
INTRODUCTION TO SAILING (1 week class) Sailors will meet each day at Dougal Park in lower Gibsons at 9:00 am. Please pick up at 3:00 pm.
BASIC SAILING – CANSail levels 1 and 2 will meet each day at Dougal Park in lower Gibsons at 9:30 am. Please pick up at 3:30 pm.
INTERMEDIATE/ADVANCED Levels 3, 4 and 5 will meet each day at Dougal Park in lower Gibsons at 10:00 am. Please pick up at 4:00 pm.
We have exclusive use of the Gazebo where we will gather for some shore lessons, warm-up exercises/games and then it’s a short walk down to Gibsons Marina and out to the docks for the remainder of the day.
We have use of the Kinsmen Hall in the park. There will be theory lessons, knot tying, games and perhaps a hike in the forest.
What should I bring to the sailing course?
Gibsons Sailing Club will provide all the necessary equipment to sail with the exception of life jackets. The sailors will need to bring:
- Face Masks(s) in consideration of COVID.
- Ministry of Transport of Canada approved PFD (Personal Flotation Device) that fits properly and is correct for their weight. They can be purchased at any Marine Supply store, Canadian Tire etc.
- Water bottle – we recommend 1 litre or more – refillable
- Healthy lunch and snacks
- Waterproof sunscreen – apply before arriving and throughout the day
- Hat and Sunglasses!
- Appropriate clothing for the weather (rain or shine). Note: temperatures on the water are often much cooler than on land
- Closed-toe shoes (ie – old runners, Keens or Aquasocks). The shoes should not fall off the feet if they go swimming.
- Change of clothes (you will get wet)
- Bathing suit and towel. You may also want to consider a comfortable wetsuit for the earlier sessions. A “shorty” should be fine. A tight fit is preferable, a loose wetsuit will not provide enough protection when wet in cool winds.
Are there bursaries available?
Yes, there are a limited number of $250 bursaries for each community being offered to families from KidSport to help offset some of the registration fee. Please note bursaries are only available to BC residents.
- Follow instructions here for the Sunshine Coast: KIDSport Canada application
- Please notify us when the application has been made so we can hold your spot.
What is the cancellation policy?
All accepted registrations are subject to a $35 cancellation fee for sailing courses.
There will be no refunds for cancellations made within 14 days of the scheduled start date. (Exceptions may be made if the cancellation is due to illness or injury).
There will be no refunds after the start date for the course.